Monday, January 16, 2006

None too clever

More proof that, if you think you have a really good idea, chances are somebody else has probably already thought of it:

insert witty title here
(insert name here)
Clever Title Goes Here
[insert clever name]
(Insert Something Clever Here)

I don't like this. True, these folks may have had blogs before I did, but I've been using the stupid non-name name gimmick for years. Cases in point: 1983 -- my first book report ("I haven't read this yet"); 1991 -- my first university paper ("The Guy Who Wrote This For Me Wanted an Extra $20 for a Title"); 2004 -- my wedding vows ("...take you, State Bride's Name, to be my wife").

For a nanosecond, I contemplated challenging these pretenders to a thumb wrestling tournament where everybody but the winner has to change his or her blog's name. But with my luck, one or more of them would have a freakishly muscular thumb. ("Roger Ebert, Henry Winkler! No, I had no idea you guys blogged. And on Blackberrys? You don't say.")

Sigh. It's almost enough to make me give up on blogging altogether and devote all my time to this revolutionary invention I'm working on. It's like a DVD, but boxy and more scratch resistant. I call it... Betamax.
*

6 Comments:

At January 16, 2006 8:17 a.m., Blogger Christopher said...

I hear you on the originality thing and if it's any consolation, there used to be even more "insert blah blah blah here" blogs but most just fade away after a month or two.

As another BC resident, welcome to blogging!

~ christopher


ps: you'll probably find that you get a lot of visitors that reach your site by googling for the word "insert _________"

 
At January 16, 2006 1:56 p.m., Blogger Havril said...

Thanks, Christopher. You have now been moved from my "Must Thumb Wrestle" list to my "Peacefully Coexist With" list. Jeers, H.

christopher said...

I hear you on the originality thing and if it's any consolation, there used to be even more "insert blah blah blah here" blogs but most just fade away after a month or two.

As another BC resident, welcome to blogging!


~ christopher

 
At January 16, 2006 9:03 p.m., Blogger Miss Cellania said...

I almost named mine Miss Information, but I was afraid that would set expectations too high. I like this. Thanks for the link!

PS I like your other blog too.

 
At January 17, 2006 6:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. It's a clear case of first come first served. Why do you think my tag line is "because all the good blog names are already taken"?

 
At January 17, 2006 6:46 a.m., Blogger Havril said...

I'm all about the peaceful coexistence now. If it was good enough for the CFL (non-Canadians see this and this ), it's good enough for me.

 
At February 10, 2006 6:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have that title genius going on. I love the one about The Guy Who Wrote This for Me... I preach occasionally at my friends' churches, and some of my titles have included "Don't Just Do Something, Stand There," "Eat, Drink, and Be Mary," and my personal favorite, "He Who Sitteth on a Red Hot Stove Shall Rise Again." No, wait... I think that one is Lewis Grizzard. In any case, I hope you liked what you read on Clever Title, and I sincerely thank you for coming by, even if it was only to mock my lack of originality. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home